Payne & Associates, PLLC

As you move through the divorce process, you may find yourself discussing matters of child support at some point. Payment of child support typically comes about in one of the following ways:

-- It is agreed upon by both individuals during informal negotiations, such as mediation

-- It is resolved through an out of court alternative dispute resolution

-- The court enters a child support order

As you can imagine, it's often easier to personally work with your ex-spouse to finalize this detail. If you don't take this approach, you're leaving the final decision to the court.

Are you and your former spouse willing to work together in an informal setting to resolve child support issues? This can include everything from the amount of the payment to the frequency and duration.

Although this process sounds simple enough, it can still be accompanied by some challenges. This is why both individuals often rely on the assistance of a family law attorney.

The end goal is simple: to create a written agreement that outlines every detail associated with the child support that is to be paid by one spouse to the other.

It is never easy to go through divorce. Furthermore, this is even more challenging if you have children.

Although there are many ways to work through the details of child support, you may be able to ease the pain and stress through informal negotiations. In addition to ensuring that you are comfortable with the arrangement, you should always do what's in the best interest of your child or children.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support by Agreement," accessed April 27, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Payne & Associates, PLLC
206 North Spruce Street, Suite 1B
Winston Salem, NC 27101

Phone: 336-283-2937
Fax: 336-217-8784
Winston Salem Law Office Map